Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Living Amongst Insanity

Whoever came up with the idea of roommates in college did not clearly think through things. Yes boys ((or those who think they are men)) can get along quite well, but when living in a building full of females, tension runs high. It is junior year here at college and I have gone from one roommate to two. This should not be a drastic change, unless one becomes the mediator.

Each girl gossips about the other, and it takes all of my strength to keep from smacking both of them into a reality check. One parties, complains, gossips, uses "like" every other word. The other matches my personality of laid back qualities, enjoys relaxation, and the simple things in life. It never ceases to amaze me how two girls can gripe and complain so much behind the other's back and keep a smile to their face. I know all.... for I am the mediator. There is no side for me to agree on.

But is this not the stereotypical female? Am I the only one who lives outside of the gossiping, lying, partying, backstabbing stereotype? In college the level of maturity is supposed to rise, allowing the students to transform into adults and preparing themselves for the outside world of careers and jobs. Neither of my roommates seem to understand that this is the case. It seems that maturity can only develop when one lives on their own for a period of time, or secludes themselves from a social situation. I find the longer a college female student dwells in a building with all other females, maturity dives deep and ceases to exsist. It is a sad thing. Perhaps someday one other student shall prove me wrong, but to this day I have yet to see such a sight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment